Free Guided Summer Walking Art Tours
on Newport Gallery Nights,
May Through October.
Click here for more details
Newport has been an artists’ colony since the 18th century…and continues with that same tradition today. Many artists continue to paint “en plein air” while others work in glass, clay, marble, fabric and metal. Reproductions of the furniture for which Newport is well known are being created in the city and digital photography is shot on land and sea as well.
This is the premiere area for combining the amenities of an historic area, a spectacular vacation venue in a wonderful pedestrian city by the sea, fine dining in world-class restaurants and the best of all art exhibits in the galleries and studios. A great diversity of galleries are open to the public and can be found throughout the city…everything from classic work to folk art to “outsider” art to cutting edge contemporary pieces.
The Newport Gallery Organization is comprised of 28 member galleries, museums and cultural institutions who offer original works from local artists as well as from artisans around the world. Contemporary, historic, traditional and avant-garde peices may be purchased sales tax free throughout Newport.
Newport Gallery Night, sponsored by the Gallery Organization is held the second Thursday of every month from 5 until 8 in the evening at the galleries. The map and brochure, created by members of the Organization, can be used during the evening gallery stroll and during a daytime art walk through working studios and traditional gallery-style art venues. The brochure features a map and descriptions of each gallery and is readily available at each participating gallery, in hotels, bed and breakfast inns, and many other local venues.
Free parking is available during Newport Gallery Night in the downtown area at the Visitors Bureau and at the Newport Art Museum “on the Hill.” Participating galleries also feature openings with the artists, illustrated lectures and on-hands demonstrations during Newport Gallery Night. For current exhibitions and updates on the galleries and the organization, check on the event listing here on the site, also on facebook or contact us at:email@example.com.
Art After Hours
Many Newport art galleries and cultural attractions stay open after hours on Newport Gallery Night and a wide variety of dining options, activities and other amenities are close at hand.
What to Do
- Explore diverse galleries, museums and cultural institutions offering everything from classic works to cutting edge contemporary art
- See artists at work in their studios
- View museum exhibitions and listen to special lectures
- Stroll through Newport’s charming historic neighborhoods. Free guided walking art tours June – August.
- Park (for free!) at the Newport Visitor’s Center
- or Newport Art Museum
- Dine – at local spots at a reduced rate (ask galleries for discount coupons)
For more information about the Newport Gallery Organization,
Newport’s Art Get-Away Weekend or Newport Gallery Night,
Make a weekend of it!
Enjoy an art tour of over 24 local galleries and museums, then enjoy a discount on your meal at the supporting restaurant of your choice.
- Bistro 162 – 10% food
- Café Zelda – Glass of house wine with purchase of Prix Fixe special
- The Conservatory at Vanderbilt Grace – 15% off food
- Gold’s Wood-Fired Grille & Café – Complimentary dessert with purchase of entrée
- Hyatt Regency Newport – Complimentary dessert or appetizer with entrée
- Mamma Luisa – 15% off dinner
- Newport Blues Café – 2 for 1 entrée’s
- One Bellevue – 20% off food
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt – $3.00 off purchase of $10.00 or more
- Pier 49 Seafood & Spirits – 10% off food
- Rhino Bar & Grille – Complimentary appetizer with purchase of entrée
- The Rhumbline – 25% off food
- Sardella’s – 15% off food
- The Spiced Pear – 20% 4 course food/wine dinner
- Tallulah’s on Thames – 10% off entire bill
- White Horse Tavern – 10% off dinner
- Yesterday’s – 10% off food
Discounts are valid only on Gallery Night and cannot be combined with other offers or promotions.